Summer is Here!
June is an exciting month for produce. Not only are we still seeing the last harvests of the delicious spring crops like green garlic and Peas Shoots but we are starting to see the first Summer crops come in. Broccoli, Collards and other Brassicas will be appearing. Kale will be especially delicious and tender in the early parts of summer. Squashes such as Patty Pan are going to be ready to harvest soon and keep and eye out for locally grown Sugar and Snap Peas too, a favorite in early summer. The most exciting produce of June is the fruit. Strawberries are ripe in the first half of June and cherries in the second half. Pick your own activities are great for kids and adults alike!
Here’s some recipes to get you started!
This Soda Syrup is sure to Sweeten Up any Summer Drink!
This Brightly Flavored Orzo Salad uses two great Summer ingredients: Snap Peas and Yellow Squash!
A great way to sneak Swiss Chard past the kids is to put it on a pizza!
This Salsa is an excellent garnish for summer grilling or wrapped up in a tortilla for lunch!
This is a Quick and Easy Weeknight Dinner that will taste Delicious!
Collard Greens Make Great Wraps!
Using Broccoli instead of rice is a great way to pack in those extra nutrients!
Kohlrabi can add a great twist to a simple recipe!
Squash is Great on the Grill!
Baby Kale and Strawberry Salad
Created By: Executive Chef Kevin Hermann, The Porch
Yield: 4 Servings
- 1/2 lb Strawberries, tops removed, cut into quarters
- 1 cup Scallions, washed, cut into 1/4” Slices
- 4 cups Baby Kale, washed/li>
- 1 Cup Walnuts, Toasted, Chopped
- 1 Cup Goat Cheese, Crumbled
- 1/2 Cup Mint Leaves, Rough Chopped
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, toss all ingredients together, being gentle to avoid smashing the strawberries.
Slowly drizzle the Balsamic Vinaigrette over the salad, using just enough to coat the greens. Gently fold into Salad
- 1/4 cup Balsamic Vinegar
- 3 Tbsp Honey (raw honey is available)
- 1 Tbsp Thyme, chopped
- 1 Shallot, minced
- 2 Tsp Dijon Mustard
- 1 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Tsp Salt, kosher
- 1 Tsp Black Pepper, Fresh Ground
- In a small mixing bowl incorporate all ingredients except the olive oil
Begin to whisk in olive oil by drizzling it into the mixture
Season to taste with salt and pepper
Cover and refrigerate until needed