After roasting, the center of this acorn squash becomes a tiny swimming pool of melty butter and molasses-y brown sugar—need we say more?
Game plan: If you need a little help to open the squash, check out this tip.
- 1 medium acorn squash (about 1 pound)
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, cut into 4 pieces and at room temperature
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons packed light or dark brown sugar
- Heat the oven to 400°F and arrange a rack in the middle.
- Meanwhile, cut the squash in half lengthwise and scrape out the seeds. Cut a small slice off the rounded side of each half to stabilize the halves so they sit upright.
- Place the halves cut-side up on a baking sheet. Using your fingers, coat the flesh of each half with 1 piece of the butter, then season generously with salt and pepper. Divide the sugar and remaining butter pieces between the squash cavities. Roast until fork tender, about 45 minutes to 1 hour.