from Blissful Basil
- ½ cup balsamic vinegar
- 2-3 slices hearty, seeded bread
- olive oil
- 2 small heirloom tomatoes, thinly sliced
- ½ a ripe avocado
- ¼ cup fresh basil, chopped
- sea salt
- black pepper
- Make the balsamic reduction by adding the balsamic vinegar to a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring the balsamic to a boil, whisking constantly. Reduce heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until balsamic has reduced by half and is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Make sure you keep an eye on it — it burns quickly.
- Slather each slice of bread with a drizzle of olive oil and toast.
- Evenly divide the avocado between the pieces of toast and use the back of a fork to smash the avocado. Layer the sliced tomatoes on top, sprinkle with fresh basil, and drizzle with the balsamic reduction.
- Garnish with sea salt and black pepper.
- Serve immediately.