adapted from Grand River Organics
2 lbs. potatoes
2-3 garlic scapes
2 green onions (whites and greens both)
4 tablespoons butter
½ cup sour cream
salt and pepper to taste
1. Scrub your potatoes and peel if desired. Cover with water in a large pot and boil until tender but not mushy.
2. While potatoes are boiling, finely chop your garlic scapes and green onion.
3. In a medium sauce pan, melt one tablespoon of butter over medium heat and saute the scapes and onions until nice and tender, about 10 minutes.
4. When your scapes are tender, remove the pan from heat, and add the remaining 3 tablespoons of butter to the pan to allow it to melt.
5. When the potatoes are tender, drain and put them in a large mixing bowl. Pour the scapes/melted butter combination over the potatoes.
6. Add sour cream, and, using your electric mixer, whip the potatoes well. Taste and add salt and pepper to your taste, and mix again.