Welcome to the first week of the Winter Share!
We are excited to start off our 2013/2014 winter CSA share! This is a bi-weekly share for all members. In addition to fresh produce you will also occasionally receive honey, eggs, cider, grains, and cheese. If you were a member for the harvest season please return any boxes you still have. If you ordered a tote bag please don’t forget to grab it when you come for your box, and as always please be respectful of the host location.
THIS WEEK’S HARVEST
OG- certified organic CNG- certified naturally grown
dozen eggs, Heritage Farm
pea shoots, Pucker Brush Farm, CNG
2# sweet potatoes, Sunny Meadow Farm
hydroponic bib lettuce, Harmony Grove
1# black radishes, Nu Way Farm
1/3# lettuce mix, Goose Creek Gardens, CNG
8oz. honey, Bedillion Honey Farm
1/2 # shallots, Crighton’s Farm
2# D’Anjou pears, Dawson’s Orchard
carrot bunch OR beets, Nu Way Farm
1# brussel sprouts, Clarion River Organics, OG
Roasted Sweet Potato Fries
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled
- 2 tablespoons good olive oil
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, plus extra for sprinkling
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
Halve the sweet potatoes lengthwise and cut each half into 3 long spears. Place them on a sheet pan and toss with the olive oil. Spread the potatoes in one layer. Combine the brown sugar, salt, and pepper and sprinkle on the potatoes. Bake for 15 minutes and then turn with a spatula. Bake for another 5 to 10 minutes, until lightly browned. Sprinkle lightly with salt and serve hot.
Black Radish Salad
- 4 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon-style mustard
- 2 black radishes (weighing about one half pound each) peeled and trimmed
- One small shallot, sliced paper-thin
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Fine sea salt
1. In a medium sized bowl whisk together the lemon juice and the mustard,then slowly whisk in the olive oil into the mixture until it emulsifies.
2. Grate the radish on a grater with small holes. Add the grated radish and the shallot to the vinaigrette and toss so that all the ingredients are thoroughly combined. Season with salt. Serve immediately.
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped thyme
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
In a small bowl, whisk the lemon juice with the lemon zest, honey and thyme. Whisk in the olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
Click here for some more recipe ideas from our Pinterest page! If you have favorite recipes online, please let us know so we can add them to our Pinterest page. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with the links!