Welcome to week #11 of the Harvest Share!
A note on share routes: We divide deliveries into two routes for box planning and distribution purposes. See below for a list of locations by route. Once you find the route that visits your pick-up location, scroll down to see what will be in your box!
PLEASE NOTE: This week we have VEGAN shares. please look in your box for a white sheet labeled **VEGAN SHARE** before you take it.
Grow Pittsburgh’s Community Garden Workshop Series: Engaging Kids in the Garden
10am-11:30am, Saturday, August 17th, 2013
Faison Elementary School, 7430 Tioga St, Pittsburgh, PA
Presented by Jake Seltman and Maria Bowman, Grow Pittsburgh
Learn how to engage children with food, soil, insects and the wonder of the natural world. Presenters and participants will share from their experiences at school and community gardens.
Register for the workshop here!
Edible Allegheny Hosts: The Plight of the Bees
Join Edible Allegheny Magazine for an informative and tasty evening at Wild Purveyors, featuring speakers from Burgh Bees and experts in the local bee community. Honey-themed hors d’oeuvres and cocktails will be served throughout the evening, as you mingle and meet like-minded people interested in making a difference in the fate of our local and national honeybees. Learn how to improve the current conditions associated with Colony Collapse Disorder (CCD), the health benefits of bee products, and how to use bee products for various purposes. A portion of the proceeds will go to Chatham University’s Eden Hall Campus. Don’t forget to pick up your bee-friendly goodie bag before you buzz away!
Buy tickets for the event here!
Asparagus Route Pick Up Locations
Monroeville, Churchill, Green Tree, Dormont, Mt. Lebanon- Briarwood, Whitehall, Mt. Lebanon- Woodhaven, Mt. Lebanon- Eden’s Market, Bridgeville, Greenfield, Sq Hill- Forward Ave, Sq Hill- Bartlett, Chatham University, Sq Hill- Fair Oaks, Shadyside, Friendship, Scott
Zucchini Pick Up Locations
Highland Park- Jackson, Highland Park- Union Project, Morningside, Fox Chapel, Lawrenceville, Marty’s Market, North Side- Children’s Museum, North Side, B Gourmet, Avalon, Cranberry-Westinghouse, Bellevue, Ross Twsp, North Park- RAW Training, Bradford Woods, Restaurant ECHO, Google, Oakland- Apple, Oakland- The Porch, Schenley Farms, Downtown- Gulf Tower, Highmark, PNC One, South Side, Steelers Training Center, Eat n Park Hospitality, Animal Nature, Edgewood, Regent Square, Point Breeze, East End Brewing, Oakdale, Indiana, Franklin Park
Bi-Weekly Member Info
Odd week pick-up dates: August 14 & 28, September 11 & 25, October 9 & 23, November 6.
Even week pick-up dates: August 21, September 4 & 18, October 2, 16 & 30, November 13
*dates in bold include Flower share deliveries
This is an ODD week.
THIS WEEK’S HARVEST
OG- certified organic CNG- certified naturally grown
4 ears sweet corn, Weeping Willow Farm
2 cucumbers, Weeping Willow Farm
2 red onions, Blue Goose Farm, CNG
basil, Nu Way Farm
2# nectarines, Dawson’s Orchard
1# tomatoes, Blue Goose Farm, CNG
cantaloupe, Clarion River Organics, OG
4 sweet banana peppers, Clarion River Organics, OG
1# beets OR potatoes, Hostetler Farm OR Sunny Meadow Farm
basil, Blue Goose Farm, CNG
lettuce mix, Goose Creek Gardens
4oz. chevre, Riverview Dairy
2# peaches, Dawson’s Orchards
2 bell peppers, Blue Goose Farm, CNG
1# slicing tomatoes, Clarion River Organics, OG
1# roma beans, Sunny Meadow Farm
rainbow chard, Blue Goose Farm, CNG
**Zucchini Route Vegans will be getting something FIGS in their boxes instead of cheese!**
Sweet Summer CSA Soup and Sauces!
- 1 cantaloupe, (chopped)
- 1 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 sprig fresh mint
- Place all ingredients, except for the mint, in a large bowl and stir.
- Place half the mixture in a blender and puree until smooth. Pour soup into a pitcher, and repeat with remaining mixture.
- Taste and whisk in more cinnamon, honey or even lemon juice if desired. It should taste sweet and tart, with only a hint of cinnamon. Chill the soup until ready to serve.
- Remove the mint leaves from the stem (discard) and stack the leaves on top of each other. Roll lengthwise into a tight “cigar.” Slice crosswise into thin strips and garnish soup with mint strips.
- 1 pound ripe tomatoes, finely chopped (with seeds and juices)
- 2/3 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 serrano chiles, seeded, finely chopped (about 2 tablespoons)
Combine tomatoes, red onion, parsley, olive oil, lemon juice, and serrano chiles in medium bowl. Season generously with salt and pepper. DO AHEAD: Can be made 4 hours ahead. Cover and chill.
**This would be really yummy on toast with goat cheese!**
Peach or Nectarine Chutney
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup loosely packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 large sweet red pepper, seeded, diced 1/4 inch, about 1/2 cup
- 1 small white onion, peeled and diced, about 1/2 cup
- 1 small jalapeño pepper, seeded and diced, 2 tablespoons
- 1/3 cup white raisins
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 pounds firm, fresh peaches or nectarines, blanched to remove the skin, pit removed, sliced into wedges
Put the vinegar and both sugars into a non-reactive pot, place over medium heat and bring to a boil. Add the red pepper, onion, jalapeño, raisins, garlic, ginger, salt and simmer 10 minutes. Add the peach segments and simmer an additional 5-10 minutes. If the peaches are still firm allow to cook several minutes more. If you would like the syrup thicker you may also allow to cook for a minute or two to reduce liquid.
Remove from the heat and allow to cool for 15 minutes in the pot. Serve at room temperature. Transfer all excess to a clean container and refrigerate, covered, for up to one week.
Click here for some more recipe ideas from our pinterest page! If you have favorite recipes online, please let us know so we can add them to our Pinterest page. Contact email@example.com with the links!